I see many people juggling the ever-growing demands on their time and it shows. Stress shows in the tired looks on people’s faces, in the tone of their voices and even how they drive on our busy freeways.
As you establish your 2019 goals it may be time to say “out with the old and in with the new” when it comes to your time management habits. Establishing time boundaries, avoiding distractions and letting go of those tasks that waste our time are critical elements to time management success.
CEA recommends finding a good time management system and working your system. Whatever that system may be for you, here are suggestions that can help:
1. Use the SMART goal setting method. Create a game plan to assist you in accomplishing each one of your goals. Goals should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound.
2. Monitor (log) your time for seven days. Assess where you are spending your time. Is your time being well spent or are there any activities that you could be delegating to others?
3. Spend your peak time of the day on your most significant tasks. This time may vary for us. Some of us are at our best in the morning some of us are at our best later in the day.
4. Follow the 80/20 rule also known as the Pareto Principle. This principle states that 80% of the output from a given situation or system is determined by 20% of the input. For example, 20% of the employees may produce 80% of a company’s results. Are you spending your time in those areas that will garner you the most results at work and at home?
5. Schedule your email response times. This also applies to your phone when it comes to text messages. As emails and texts are coming in all day it is easy to get distracted. Set some time aside to review these throughout the day. This also applies to social media alerts. Trust me, it can wait.
6. Make a to-do list in the evening for the next day. It has been said that one hour of planning will save you three hours of execution. Once you have set your list for the day stick to it as closely as possible. Don’t be afraid to show others the things you have to do.
7. Balance is key. When we are out of balance in our life, we will be frustrated. Therefore, it’s valuable to follow a system that will help you to get things done and also one where you truly prioritize your personal and family time. Take time out for yourself. This can be more important than you think. Even if it is just a short walk in the park, reading a book, or going to a movie, these things will help you to maintain that balance.
8. Learn to say no. This is especially important if you were trying to meet a deadline and others are requesting things of you that are not as important nor as urgent as what you are working on. By learning to say no this allows you to say yes to the more important things in your life.
9. Commit to reorganizing your workspace. Research has shown that clutter helps us to lose focus and when we lose focus we lose time. Start somewhere and commit to organizing your space for your optimal productivity.
California Employers association provides effective training in these essential skills. This includes time management and email management in the workplace.
Call us today, to learn more about how we can help you achieve your goals in 2019!