Covid-19 is here and information changes daily. As the crisis unfolds, employers have many questions regarding reducing risk, business impact, and managing employees. At CEA, our members have raised lots of good questions and concerns.
On March 19, 2020, all employers can join us for a free one-hour discussion on Covid-19 and the workplace. Register here today!
In the meantime, the State of California has provided some free resources for employers and workers about coronavirus, known as COVID-19. These resources cover issues such as state wage replacement benefits and workplace safety.
Free Covid-19 Resources for Businesses
Here is a list of available free resources from both California and federal government agencies:
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency Resources — a centralized source of information for employers and workers. This is the best starting point for employers to find the information they need.
- EDD Coronavirus Information — covers State Disability Insurance, Paid Family Leave and Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits available to workers who are sick or quarantined, caring for ill or quarantined family members or have reduced hours. Provides employer information on tax assistance, UI, and potential closures or layoffs.
- EDD Work Sharing Program — provides employers with information on reduced work hours and California’s work sharing program. Work Sharing gives eligible employers an alternative to layoffs — trained employees can have their hours and wages reduced and partially offset with UI benefits.
- Cal/OSHA Guidance on Protecting Workers from Coronavirus. For industries outside of healthcare, review the Interim Guidelines for General Industry.
- FAQs on Coronavirus and Laws enforced by the California Labor Commissioner — provides information on paid sick leave, reporting time pay, travel inquiries, exempt pay, and more.
- California Department of Public Health — provides daily updates on COVID-19 and additional guidance.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — provide situation updates and guidance on topics such as prevention and environmental cleaning and disinfecting. Includes Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers.
- Federal OSHA Coronavirus information — provides additional information for preventing exposure and infection.
- Federal EEOC Guidance on Coronavirus and the ADA — provides information on worker protections and employer guidance, including issues such as following CDC guidelines and medical inquiries and testing.
Join CEA for a Webinar on Coronavirus and the Workplace
In CEA's March 19, 2020 webinar on Coronavirus and the Workplace, we will discuss the following topics and leave time for your questions as well! The webinar is FREE so all employers can get their questions answered. We will cover:
- Information on the current state of coronavirus and its impact on the workplace
- Guidance from the CDC and EEOC on coronavirus and the workplace
- When and if you can send sick employees home
- Asking for medical information, testing employees and handling confidential medical information
- Whether you need to pay employees who can’t work, the use of accrued time off, and potential wage replacement benefits (SDI, PFL, UI, workers’ comp)
- Applying mandatory or optional leave of absence policies to coronavirus illnesses (PSL, FMLA)
- Whether to require (or offer) remote work options
- Business disruption and the need to shut down, furloughs and layoffs
- How to handle business travel
- Reducing risk in client or customer-facing positions
- Avoiding panic, disinformation and discriminatory conduct
- Practical steps: healthy hygiene, clean offices, good communication
- Your questions!