With recent highly publicized sexual harassment allegations and the #MeToo movement, it is important that all employers take steps to prevent all forms of workplace harassment from occurring and respond appropriately when complaints are made.
Here are a few things employers can do to prevent harassment:
• Provide companywide training on all forms of harassment. Include additional training for those in leadership positions.
• Update and republish the company’s policies on preventing and reporting harassment.
• Make sure your reporting procedure is well publicized and that it includes the ability to report to more than one person in a leadership position and not limited just to their own supervisor.
• Emphasize that the company takes all complaints of harassment seriously and that retaliation against employees who experience, witness, report, or participate in a harassment investigation is prohibited.
• Hold leadership accountable for their conduct, no matter what their role or position in the company.
• To show you take these matters seriously, post this notice, or a similar one in your workplace so that employees understand what they can do.
If you’re ready to schedule your harassment training, or just need some guidance, give us a call. We’re here to help you make sure your workplace is safe and respectful for everyone.